I didn’t think it could be done but… I did it… My first… “Virtual Reality” inspired nail art. I used the characters from Squanchtendo’s ‘Hanging Out‘ shirt on Zen Monkey Studios and put Santa hats on them, as well as making the headset cords into Christmas lights. (Full confession: before VRMY of DARKNESS, I ran a nail blog. I’m entering this nail art into Nail Polish Canada’s Holiday 2016 Nail Art Contest. Vote for me?)
Is it stupid?
Are they still awesome?
Yes. (Sort of.)
Squanchtendo is Justin Roiland and Tanya Watson’s Virtual Reality Studio. In the last few months, they teamed up with Crows Crows Crows to create Accounting VR – one of my fave VR experiences to date. Think you’re ready to crunch the numbers?
If you’re a Rick and Morty fan, you gotta play Accounting VR. (Like right now.)
(It’s free. Who doesn’t like free?)
Do you want to get this hawt look?
Here’s how I created this work of art:
- Apply base coat.
- Paint nails with pale blue/periwinkle polish. Let dry.
- Using a white polish, lightly sponge a slight gradient from the base, half way. Let dry.
- Using a dotting tool, create small snowy dots. (Don’t go too crazy!) Let dry.
- Using two different pastel colours, paint the “shirts” of the guys on the tips.
- Using a nude/tan colour, paint the faces.
- Using a darker grey colour, paint the two headsets.
- Using a red and white colour, paint the Santa hats.
- Using the same darker grey for the headset, paint the cord across your nails.
- With your patience, steady af hand, and some 90s background music, outline EVERYTHING with the TINIEST brush you can find ever. Not even joking – GET THE TINIEST BRUSH. I started from the headsets, to the Santa hats, to the faces, to the face details (nose, mouth), and then outlining the cords (UGH.)
- Using a dotting tool, make light/bulb shaped lights on the cord, and if you are feeling brave enough, you can use the dotting tool for tongue and teeth details on the mouths.
- Let everything dry, then apply a thick af top coat of Seche Vite for that extra glossy, smooth finish.
- Seche Vite – Dry Fast Top Coat
- Nail Inc. – The Thames
- Nail Inc. – Hyde Park Base Coat
- Color Club – Chelsea Girl
- Color Club – Nomadic Nude
- Color Club – Almost Famous
- Color Club – What a Shock
- Joe Fresh – Cherry
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear – Black Out
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear – Mint Sorbet
- Essence – If I Were a Boy
- Fine tip brush (could have been finer…)
- Cosmetic sponge
- Dotting tool
Happy Holidays from me and my left hand!